Upper respiratory infections like colds and flu often come with infection and inflammation of the sinuses. Symptoms can include sever headaches, earaches, dizziness, toothaches, facial pain, pressure in the head, a loss of the ability to smell, fever, a stuffy nose and plenty of mucous discharge. Even when you feel like your sinuses are clear, there can be residual symptoms of sinus infection hiding deep in your sinus cavities. This residual infection can compound over time and contribute to serious chronic inflammation and send a steady load of free radicals through your body over an extended period of time. This can greatly contribute to many chronic degenerative conditions.
The gentle but powerful action of the therapeutic essential oils can work wonders with chronic sinus conditions where other treatments, especially antibiotics, fail to produce results. With the involvement of your health care professional, try these in-home remedies.
- If started early enough, steam inhalations using a few drops of Eucalyptus radiata, Tea Tree, Myrrh, Lavender, Lemon, any of the 4 respiratory blends (Aspire, Breezy, Mariah and Stefanie), or Deliverance, breathed deeply through the nose, can sometimes prevent upper respiratory infection from spreading into the sinuses.
- At the first sign of sinus discomfort starting running your cold-air diffuser in a steamy room (during your shower) once or twice a day.
- You can put a drop of essential oil into your humidifier. It disinfects the water while it helps to disinfect your sinuses and lungs.
- Put a few drops of one of these respiratory oils into boiling water, put a towel over your head and inhale. Put more drops in as the aroma disappears. Continue for about 10 minutes.
- Through all the stages of your cold, continue to irrigate your sinuses with a mild saline solution and an added trace of Tea Tree oil. You can put a pinch or two of salt in a bowl and put one drop of Tea Tree down the side of the bowl. Wipe away at least half of the drop so you get only a trace of Tea Tree in the solution. Add about a fourth of a cup of warm water and sniff the solution up each nostril. You can use a Neti pot to accomplish the same thing. Just put a tiny amount of Tea Tree in the solution. It will work wonders to help clean out your sinuses. If you have a water jet oral irrigator like a Hydrofloss with a very low setting, it can be used to shoot this solution high in the sinuses and help reduce the problems associated with infected sinuses.
- If your sinuses become painful during the day, you can try putting a drop of one of these oils in a tissue and breathing through it. Or you can put a drop of one of these oils in the palms of your hands. Cup your hands over your mouth and nose and breathe deeply.
- To help with pain from sinus headaches, rub a couple of drops of undiluted Peppermint or Frankincense on each temple. Keep the oils away from your eyes.
- For quick temporary relief from a stuffy nose, mix a drop of Peppermint in a teaspoon of honey and hold the mixture in the back of your mouth until the vapors rise through the nasal cavities from the back of your throat.
- Breathe 20 drops of any of these respiratory essential oils diffused in a cold air diffuser through the night while sleeping, especially Eucalyptus radiata or any of the four respiratory blends (Aspire, Breezy, Mariah or Stefanie).
- Until you feel completely back to normal, be sure to increase the amount of water you drink every day with a drop of oil in it. Try Basil, Peppermint, Lemon, or Spearmint. Avoid mucous-producing foods like dairy, highly processed foods, white flour and all kinds of sweeteners. You'll never permanently rid yourself of chronic sinus problems unless your diet is healthy. Even the best use of essential oils can not overcome the overuse of highly processed foods with lots of added sugars and empty starches.
- After your symptoms have cleared up, continue your most effective remedies for an additional 10 days to make sure that the cleansing is deep and complete. If you stop these habits too soon, the infection or infection my come back or transfer elsewhere in the body and do more serious damage.
I always recommend taking essential oil capsules to help get rid of the serious and often lingering effects of any infection in the body.