Lemon essential oil (Citrus limon) is one of those oils that can be used for many different applications. It's highly anti-bacterial and it smells wonderfully refreshing. It's one of my very favorite essential oils.
Lemon essential oil has high amounts of a compound called limonene. This compound has been researched for its ability to combat cell mutation, which is the first stage to cancer. A personal friend of mine was able to beat breast cancer by using lemon essential oil.
Also, it improves circulation and stimulates the immune system by increasing white blood cells. Health wise, it is mostly used for circulatory problems, arteriosclerosis, obesity, parasites, urinary tract infections, varicose veins, anxiety, hypertension, digestive problems, depression and acne.
And, it's one of the most inexpensive of all essential oils!
Here are 18 popular ways to use Young Living's wonderful lemon oil.
1. Natural Air Freshener – Put 12 drops in a small spray bottle mixed with distilled water.
2. Flavor Water – Use 1-2 drops in your water (acts as a natural body detox) instead of sugary fruit flavored water. * Young Living's lemon essential oil is FDA approved for ingestion. Please do not ingest any other company's essential oil. *
3. Homemade Lemonade – Mix 2 drops with 2 tablespoons of honey or agave and 2 cups of water. Shake well and pour over ice. You can add more or less to suit your taste.
4. Soothe Calluses and Corns – Rub 1 drop on affected area mornings and evenings.
5. Clean Fruit – Fill a bowl with water and add 2 drops of lemon oil. Put your fruit into the bowl and stir. Make sure all the surfaces of the fruit contact the lemon water. This works to increase the shelf life of fruit, as well.
6. Sanitize Counter Tops – Add 2-3 drops to a spray bottle filled with water.
7. Goo Gone – Using 1-2 drops may remove gum, oil, grease spots or crayon.
8. Sanitize Dish Sponge / Cloth – Add 1 drop to a bowl of water and soak your sponge / cloth in it overnight.
9. Dishwasher Boost – Add 1 drop to your dishwasher to boost cleaning and sanitizing.
10. Disinfect Hands – Rub 1 drop to your hands after using the restroom, especially public restrooms!
11. Sanitize Bathroom Fixtures – Use a paper towel soaked with several drops of lemon oil and wipe over fixtures.
12. Relieve Sore Gums – Rub 1 drop on sore or swollen gums.
13. Oily Skin – Rub 1 drop on oily skin or blemishes to help balance oil glands.
** I have to mention that when using citrus essential oils directly on your skin, without diluting with a vegetable oil, you should not go in direct sunlight. Citrus essential oils can cause your skin to be photo sensitive for about 24 hours after applying. Just be careful! **
14. Cellulite – Rub several drops on cellulite areas to improve circulation and help eliminate waste from cells.
15. Athlete's Foot – Rub 2 drops topically on affected areas.
16. Improve Circulation – Rub multiple drops on your legs, in an upwards motion.
17. Sanitize Cutting Boards – Rub 1 drop on any cutting surfaces.
18. Carpet Cleaning – Put 10-15 drops in each gallon of carpet cleaning solution to help pull out stains and brighten the rug.
(c) 2008-2009 Christa McCourt